Robots are undoubtedly the most important part of life these days – be it applications like welding, assembly, processing in manufacturing industries, defence, space, or domestic areas and building a operational robot is definitely a tough job with all the complex coordinates calculation, calibrations, drawing and other scientific stuff which only a thorough geek would grasp.
But, thanks to development of Arduino, an open source hardware platform, it is now easier for even a newbie to venture into this fascinating field of developing robots.
Given below are a list of educational Arduinos based robotic kits, feasible enough for beginners to build using assembly instructions and program using simple block based graphical or C programming, and also for professionals to upgrade their robotics, programming and electronics skills.
1) ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Robot Car Kit V 3.0
- Obstacle avoidance feature to automatically detect obstacles irrespective of direction, with the help of ultrasonic sensors.
- Easy to control using smart devices through ELEGOO BLE tool application.
- Line tracking feature for a smooth motion on a predesigned runaway using infrared transmitter and receiver tubes, only constraint being a clear and long run-away.
- Version V3.0 available with facility to learn about loading programs and command the car movement, thus enhancing user interaction with the robot car.
- Version V1.0 available with facility to add extra sensors for more functionalities.
- Easy to assemble feature with XH2.54 modular interface for easy wiring while installing sensors.
Components inside ELEGOO :
- Arduino compatible ELEGOO UNO R3 controller board with provision to learn programming, robotics and electronics.
- USB cable.
- V5.0 extension board for V3.0 robot.
- L298N motor driver board with V3.0 robot.
- 1 servo motor along with fixed plate.
- One line tracking module
- 4 motors
- 1 remote
- 1 charger
- 1 cell box
- 2 18650 batteries
- 1 tape
- 8 separation shims
- 2 pieces acrylic plates
- 4 wheels
- 8 bags of screws and nuts for sensors and modules
- 4 pieces Aluminum blocks
- 10 pieces copper columns
- 1 piece plastic box
- 1 pieces CD with tutorial
- Several DuPont wires
- Several fixing tools
2) Makeblock mBot Robot Kit with DIY mechanical building blocks
- Educational robot kit to learn STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics)
- Easy to assemble within 15 minutes through given directions in user guide.
- Hundreds of add-on parts and packages available to create customized mBot.
- mBlock app available for beginners to learn block-based coding using simple drag and drop method.
- 100% compatible with building block pieces which in turn encourages users especially children for innovative designs and enhances their creativity.
- Two versions available with infrared remote control.
- One version available with Bluetooth control using smartphone (iOS or Android – Makeblock App).
- Another version available with 2.4G wireless control using laptop.
- 3 pre-set modes available; IR control mode, obstacle avoidance mode and line-following mode indicated through on-board RBG LED.
- White color: Default IR control mode.
- Green color: Obstacle avoidance mode.
- Blue color: Line follower mode.
- Controllable through Makeblock app with 30 predefined modules for users to customize the robot by combining different modules.
- Arduino C controlled robot for electronic geeks.
Components inside mBot :
- IR remote control.
- 1 AA battery holder.
- 1 Lithium battery holder.
- 2 motors.
- 2 wheels
- 1 ultrasonic sensor and 1 line follower sensor
- 8 M4x8 mm screws.
- One M3 x 25 mm screw
- Bluetooth/2.4G wireless module.
- 4 M4 x 25 mm brass studs and 4 M3 nuts.
- Two M2.2 x 9 mm self-drilling screws.
- One USB and RJ25 cable.
- mCore layout with battery holder interface, reset button, USB connector, power switch, motor interface, 2 RJ25 ports, buzzer, IR receiver, IR transmitter and light sensor.
3) KINCREA Smart Robot Car Kit with Arduino IDE
- Easy to assemble chassis with necessary socket for sensors and directly charging interface with 8.4-volt charger.
- 4 wheel drive forward design supply with enough driving force.
- Two modes of control – infrared remote control and mobile phone app control (Android system).
- Feasible to learn and develop electronics, programming and robotics for both starters and professionals.
- Infrared tracking to follow objects at the forefront using infrared obstacle avoidance module.
- Obstacle avoiding using infrared and ultrasonic detection.
- Line following function with infrared tracking.
- 100% compatible with Arduino IDE along with source code for beginners to learn and develop coding.
- Extended pin interface for Arduino Uno with the need to only solder pins.
- Stable and improved shock absorbing high quality wheels with inner tube.
Components Inside KINCREA :
- 4 rubber tyres.
- 4 motor driver modules.
- One IR remote.
- One adaptor.
- One ultrasonic module.
- Two 3.7Volt rechargeable Lithium batteries.
- Other Electronics circuit and mechanical components
4) KOOKYE Robot Car Electronics Parts Kit with CD Tutorial for Arduino Tank Platform
- Easily customizable robotic car with open source Arduino compatible learning kit.
- Easy for DIY assembling w5r4eith tutorial guide containing sample codes, circuits, assembly instructions and videos in 6 different lessons.
- Can work in any mode – Auto go, Infrared control, Obstacle avoidance, Object following, or line tracking.
- Easily controlled through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth using Android App
Components Inside KOOKYE :
- One Acrylic board for tank chassis
- One UNO R3 board with USB cable
- One Expansion board
- One Bluetooth module
- One Motor Driver Module
- Three Tracking sensor modules
- Three IR Obstacle Avoidance modules
- One servo Motor
- One Ultrasonic Sensor module
- One Buzzer sensor module
- One IR Receiver
- One IR Remote controller
- One Voltage meter
- One Box for 18650 3.7V battery
- One DC power connector with wires
- One Mount holder for Ultrasonic Sensor
- Three 8pin Jumper wires female to female 20cm
- One 10pin Jumper wires female to female 30cm
- One 20pcs Plastic ribbon
- One Cross and Slotted Screwdriver
- One DVD
5) UCTRONICS Smart Bluetooth Robot Car Kit
- Easily controllable through smart phones using Android App and Bluetooth.
- Easy to assemble kit with step by step guide.
- Easy object detection through ultrasonic module.
- Can also be controlled using remote control and IR receiver.
- Can also work in line tracking mode.
- Easily programmable using Arduino IDE or other related software.
Components inside Uctronics :
- One UNO R3 Board for Arduino
- One L293D Motor Drive Expansion Board
- One HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor Module
- One Line Tracking Module
- One HC-05 Bluetooth Module and holder
- One 9g micro servo motor
- One Infrared Remote Controller
- One cable
- One car chassis
- Four Geared Motors (1:48)
- Four 65mm Wheels
- One Battery Container
- Two batteries
- One battery charger
- Screws and Nuts
6) Yahboom UNO R3 Based Smart Robot Project Super Starter Learning Kit
- STEM educational kit for kids to learn and enjoy installing electronics and programming robots using graphical or C programming.
- Easy to assemble and install using given detailed dual language tutorials, without the need for welding.
- Developed on a bat shaped integrated circuit board used as chassis.
- Controlled through Android App or through IR remote control.
- Can work in different modes – infrared tracking, obstacle avoidance and line following.
Components Inside Yahboom :
- 1 UNO R3 board
- 1 Robot car chassis
- 1 Ultrasonic module
- 1 WIFI module
- 2 Gear motor
- 2 High-quality car wheels
- 4 Connection wires
- 4 Motor fixing brackets
- 1 Battery box
- 2 3.7 V batteries
- 1 Charger
- 2 Universal wheels
- 1 Hardware fitting pack
- 1 IR remote control
- 1 USB cable
7) Jun-Electron Starter Robot Car Chassis Kit
- UNOR3 controller based educational and fun based robot kit for enthusiasts and professionals to upgrade their electronics, robotics and programming skills.
- Easy for DIY with given tutorial and welded sensor equipment chassis.
- Car chassis with built in sensors, motor driver for driving 4 wheels.
- Infrared obstacle avoidance at any direction, through two inbuilt infrared diodes on front and rear sides of the car.
- Obstacle avoidance detection using LED indicator and potentiometer.
- Line tracking function through infrared transmitter tube and infrared received tube.
- LED indicator to indicate line tracking functionality and potentiometer to adjust sensing distance.
- Obstacle detection using ultrasonic module installed at front of the car, irrespective of the direction.
- Ultrasonic ranging distance indication using LCD 1602.
- Easy to control using Bluetooth control through Android App or through IR remote control.
Components Inside Jun-Electron :
- One robot car chassis
- One UNO Control board
- One data cable
- One battery box
- 4 pieces wheel
- 4 DC motors
- 8 DuPont line
- 8 pieces motor holder
- Screws for motor, battery box & control board
8) ADEEPT Remote Controlled Smart Car Kit
- Arduino Uno R3 and Nano controller-based DIY smart car kit using detailed guidebook containing complete circuit diagrams and assembly steps.
- Remote controlled robotic car using NRF24L01 2.4G wireless communication between the car and remote control, for smooth movement in all 4 directions and obstacle avoidance.
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interface for a smooth functioning.
- Operated at 7 to 12 Volts DC, through rechargeable batteries.
Components Inside ADEEPT :
- One ADEEPT Uno R3
- One ADEEPT Acrylic
- One Arduino Nano
- One ADEEPT Motor Shield V1.0
- One ADEEPT Remote Control Shield V1.0
- 2 ADEEPT RGB LED Modules
- One ADEEPT Passive Buzzer Module
- Two Servos
- One HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Module
- Two DC Motors
- Two NRF24L01 Modules
- Twelve M2 Nuts
- Eighteen M3 Nuts
- Two M4 Nuts
- Twelve M2*10 Screws
- Four M3*4 Screws
- Thirty-Two M3*8 Screws
- Six M3*12 Screws
- Six M3*30 Screws
- Two M4*4 Screws
- Four M3*10 Countersunk Head Screw
- Six M1.4*6 Self-tapping Screws
- Four M3*6 Copper Standoffs
- Six M3*12 Copper Standoffs
- Eight M3*30 Copper Standoffs
- Four F687ZZ Bearings
- Four F624ZZ Bearings
- Ten M4 Spring Washers
- One Cross Screwdriver
- One Slotted Screwdriver
- One Cross Socket Wrench
9) XIAOR Geek HD Camera Based DS Wi-Fi Smart Robot Car Kit
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi/signal hotspot for easy control using Android/iOS App on smart phone or through PC, video and image transmission using 2DBi External Wi-Fi Antenna.
- Feasible for beginners to get hands-on experience in robotic designing and installation.
- Adjustable HD Camera for image and video capturing, with maximum video resolution up to 640 by 480 pixels, 30F/s frame, and manually adjustable focal length.
- 2 axis pan and tilt servo motors for video capturing at any angle.
- Extra pins available on expansion board to add more sensors for functions such as ultrasonic obstacle avoidance, ultrasonic detection, line tracking, and many more.
- Power supply through rechargeable batteries and long operating time of 3 to 4 hours.
- Easily programmable Arduino control board using drag and drop graphical programming method.
- Easy to assemble kit with given detailed tutorial containing source code, necessary programs and learning materials.
Components Inside XIAOR GEEK :
- Four 2-Degree of Freedom cloud platform servo motors.
- Four motor driver modules.
- 4 solid rubber tyres.
- One 2200 mAh 7.4V/4A Battery pack with protection circuit
- One manually adjustable focal length HD camera.
- One Adaptor.
- Other electronic circuit and mechanical components
10) VKMaker Avoidance Tracking Motor Smart Robot Car Chassis Kit
- Simple and easy to install mechanical structure.
- Highly integrated system with equipped start-stop switch.
- Obstacle avoidance and detection using ultrasonic module.
Components Inside VKMaker :
- One Car chassis.
- Two Car Wheels.
- One DC Gear Motor 1 48: a deceleration DC motor (otherwise 120: 1 Optional),
- Two 20-line gun code disks
- 4 high intensity black acrylic fasteners
- One Caster
- One Six battery box
- One Quality Rocker Switch
- One assembly drawing
- Several screws and nuts
- One V5 shield
- One UNO R3 control board
- One SG90 servo motor
- One L298N motor driver
11) XIAOR GEEK 4WD Robot Chassis Kit with a 4 TT Motor
- DIY compatible smart robot car with 4 TT DC gear motor.
- Powerful driving force using 4 motors and non-slip solid tires.
- Easy to control using wireless remote control.
- Provision to add micro-controllers and sensor modules, to realize tracing, obstacle avoidance, distance testing, speed testing, with multiple circuit mounting holes.
- 3 Volt motor with no load speed of 125RPM.
- Line tracking using IR sensor module and remote control.
- PCB material-based robot chassis kit with maximum load of 500 g.
- Easy and smooth movement using high quality rubber wheels with sponge liner.
- 3 to 12 volts operating voltage.
Components inside XIAOR GEEK :
- One PCB car chassis Kit
- Four gear motors (with reduction ratio of 1:48)
- 4 x Car tire
- 2 x screwdriver
- Motor wire, some screw and nut
12) UNIROI Arduino Based Smart Robot Car Kit
- Easy to assemble robot car kit with given tutorial (which includes instructional videos, schematics and source codes).
- Can be controlled using IR remote control or Android based mobile App.
- Obstacle detection and avoidance using both ultrasonic and infrared techniques.
- 100 percent Arduino IDE compatible to learn and experiment with coding.
- Directly charging functionality with inbuilt DC socket to plug the included 8.4- volt charger.
- Extended pin interface to solder more pins for adding extra sensors.
- High quality 4-wheel drive design for optimal driving force, providing more stability and shock absorbing feature
Components Inside UNIROI :
- One Arduino UNO Controller Board
- One Ultrasonic Module
- Four Reduction motors
- One Infrared Remote Controller
- Two Infrared Tracking Modules
- Two Infrared Obstacle Avoidance Module
- One Robot Car Chassis
- One L298N Motor Driver Module
- Four Wheels
- One 8. 4V Charger
- One Battery Box
- Two 3. 7V Batteries
- One USB Data Cable
- Two 3 Pin DuPont Wires
- 2. 5cm 2 x 2. 0 Lead wire
- 50mm 1 x 2. 5 Lead wire
- One 50mm Cross Screwdriver
- One Small Cross Screwdriver
- Four 25mm Copper Pillars
- Four 10mm Copper Pillars
- 20 M3*6 Screws
- Eight M3*25 Screws
- Two M3*6 Countersunk Screws
- Twelve M3 Nuts
- One CD with Code
- One Plastic Storage Box
13) Yahboom Professional Raspberry Pi Tank Smart Robot Kit
- Real time video capturing with 480-pixel resolution camera; MJPEG or YUYV, which can be manually adjusted for focal length up to 2 degrees of freedom.
- Camera rotation can be controlled in all directions, by 180 degrees through servo motors controlled by Android phone app.
- Real time video transmission through 5G Wi-Fi network compatible Raspberry Pi 3B+.
- Maximum climbing angle of 60 degrees achieved through aluminium alloy chassis, high power 370 motor and metal coupling.
- Power expansion board compatible with UNO R3, Raspberry Pi, STM32 and 51 controllers and sensor interface.
- Provision for achieving different coloured searchlights by controlling RBG LEDs’ brightness.
- Easy to assemble within 60 minutes, with cable socket design instead of traditional Dupont line connection.
- Programmable through both C and Python language.
- Raspberry Pi 4B/3B controlled vehicle through Yahboom app on Android operating system, Wechat on Android and iOS operating system and PC for computer control.
- Multiple functions supported: Ultrasonic sensing for obstacle avoidance, video capturing and transmission, and line tracking.
Components inside Yahboom:
- 2 Degrees of Freedom High Definition camera.
- SG90 servo platform.
- LM25965 IC power supply IC.
- TB6612FNG IC motor driver IC.
- 370 motor
- 3.7-volt 18650 power rechargeable battery pack.
- Other electronic board components.
14) SunFounder 4 Dancing Sloth Programmable Arduino Robot Car Kit
- Obstacle avoidance using HC-SR04 ultrasonic module built as ‘eyes’.
- Arduino compatible SunFounder nano board, visually programmable using Arduino IDE.
- Feasible to change gesture, direction and speed using programmable 9G servo motors.
- Easy to assemble educational toy kit using detailed instructions.
- Controllable to perform different actions such as racing, kick a ball and battle.
Components using SunFounder :
- 4 SF006C Servo motors.
- One Velcro tape.
- 1 mini USB cable.
- 6 M1.4*8 screws.
- Twelve M2*8 screws.
- 6 M1.4 nuts.
- One HC-SR04 ultrasonic module.
- One expansion board.
- One battery buckle wire.
- One cross socket wrench.
- Eight M3*5 screws.
- 12 M2 nuts.
- 4 M3*8 bi-pass Copper standoffs.
- 4 M3*25 bi-pass Copper standoffs.
- 8 M3 self-locking nuts.
- 1 Phillips screwdriver.
- One 4 pin anti reverse cable.
- 10 M1.5*5 self-tapping screws.
- 8 M3*8 countersunk screws.
15) Anki Cozmo Robotic Educational Robotic Kit
- Artificial intelligence imbibed robot with human emotions like recognition, expression and even evolution with more human interaction.
- Edge detection feature for safe self-exploration.
- Instruction follower robot which can go to places and even greet people and pets using explorer mode.
- Game playing machine with games like Quick tab, KeepAway, Memory match, Code Cracker, Stack Attack, etc.
- Re-programmable robot using Code lab, especially for children to explore varieties and showcase their ideas using creative methods.
- Sandbox: Suitable for beginners to use creative visual programming methods like using different block combinations to make Cozmo play your creation.
- Constructor: Intermediate coders can use this mode to create complex projects like designing games or interactive dance party.
Components inside Cozmo :
- 4 motors and over 50 gears for a smooth motion and exploring.
- 30fps VGA camera and facial recognition software for smooth vision and memory.
- 128 by 64 resolution facial display for human like expressions.
Arduino Robot Kits Buying Guide :
- Ease to Assemble: As a beginner, it is always easier when you are given a kit with inbuilt holes to mount essential components to realize any of your required functions, add sensors without the need to weld or solder anything.
- Versatility: An Arduino robot kit with easy to assemble feature with DIY feasibility gives scope to achieve multiple functions and leverage its functionality to maximum use.
- Reprogrammable: An easy to assemble and versatile robot would be no fun to its users (unless you are an expert professional), if it involves complex programming and coding. A simple visual programming would always be preferred over complicated lengthy codes.
- Microcontroller Integration: An on-board microcontroller with easy to control feature is always preferred over kits without an in-built microcontroller.
- Price: It is no doubt that price is a disputable factor with one having to consider each feature since cheap doesn’t means mediocre nor expensive means too excellent.
While there are multiple factors to decide upon the best Arduino robotic kit suitable for the user needs, I would still recommend Makeblock mBot Robot Kit with DIY mechanical building blocks based upon its easy to assemble feature and programming feasibility using the given user guide. However, it is a contentious issue and definitely the buyer’s call to select required product.